Monday, February 15, 2016

The Feathered Bone - Julie Cantrell


Wow!!  I wasn't prepared for this book.  It wasn't at all what I had expected.  It's real, heavy, gritty and deals with real world situations.  This book is incredibly emotional and at some points I was afraid to continue.  I was afraid because the situations were so real.  I can't even imagine putting myself in these situations, yet there I was, front and center.  It was raw and emotional.

Amanda chaperone's a field trip with her daughter and her best friend's class to Mardi Gras museum.  The unthinkable happens when Sarah disappears.  After Sarah disappears we live through Amanda, Ellie (her best friend) and Sarah's parents as they try to navigate life not knowing what's happened to Sarah.  Amanda's relationship with her husband, daughter and friends fall apart.  Amanda and Ellie both live with guilt (Amanda over the fact she lost her best friend's daughter and Ellie over survivors guilt).  Amanda tries so hard to put the pieces of their life back together, the way it was.  Her husband completely distances himself from the family and falls in love with a younger woman.

Ellie's life is never the same.  She's filled with survivors guilt and wondering where Sarah is.  After she two years she does the unthinkable.  She ends her suffering by blowing her brains out in her bedroom. 

This is the last straw for Amanda and Carl's marriage.  He's completely unemotional about the loss of his daughter and his marriage.  Amanda is left the pick up the pieces yet again and she turns numb and robot like.  She can barely navigate each day after loosing Ellie, Sarah and now her husband.
When Sarah is finally found and the realization of what she lived those years and her strength is amazing.  She kept going all because she believed that she was loved and was worthy.  My heart breaks for what she endured and in total owe by her faith, even in the darkest of situations.

This book has changed me.  I can't imagine living through ANY of these situations as a parent or a friend.  I strive to have the kind of Faith and complete trust in God that Sarah has.  I want to read it again and share it because I truly feel it is a powerful book that deals with real situations and real emotions.  You wont come out the same person after reading this..  You can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment