Friday, February 26, 2016

Little Rain Drop - Dr. Jeff Taylor


A friend gave me this book to read.  I was really interested in reading this because my sister was adopted from South Korea when she was 16 months old (I was 10).  I was pretty young when we adopted her and so I don't remember a lot of the process or really knew what all went into getting my sister from Korea to the United States.  My parents never visited South Korea as she was brought directly to the United States. 

I remember the first time we saw her, in the unclaimed baggage area at the airport (some paperwork was messed up and her dates were not given correctly).  She was typing away on a keyboard in a bright yellow jogging suit with only one shoe on.  She screamed the entire ride home.

What we didn't know is that in her 16 months in her foster home, she'd never encountered men (probably only doctors who hurt her) and so she was deathly afraid of my dad.  It took him several months to win her over (cookies and yogurt).

I also thought the author's insight into the birth mother and how hard a choice she had to make to give up a child and what a blessing and gift it was to his family.  He compared it to the love of God and how he gave up HIS son for us.  That we are all "adopted" to God when we make the choice to follow and serve him. 

Beautifully written and great for someone interested in adopting or someone wanting a first hand account of what it's like to adopt from a father's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment